ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET TO PERFORM AT CORONATION FESTIVAL
English National Ballet will take part in three Gala performances in the grounds of Buckingham Palace as part of the Coronation Festival in July.
The Company will perform Tempus a specially commissioned piece paying tribute to Her Majesty The Queen and the incredible era of change during her reign. Choreographed by George Williamson to a new score by composer Christopher Mayo, the ballet will have costumes designed by Julien Macdonald. Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet’s Artistic Director, will dance alongside Esteban Berlanga, Daria Klimentová, Vadim Muntagirov, Fernanda Oliveira, Zhanat Atymtayev, Bridgett Zehr, Ken Saruhashi, Ksenia Ovsyanick and Junor Souza.
English National Ballet’s Associate Artist George Williamson said: “I am excited and honoured to be creating a piece for the Coronation Festival. Tempus is inspired by the great changes which have taken place during The Queen’s reign. I have tried to evoke a sense of transition and memories but ultimately I wanted to create a ballet that celebrates the last 60 years and looks to the future of the art form.
The Galas form part of the Coronation Festival – a unique public event hosted by The Royal Warrant Holders Association, which will celebrate the very best of UK PLC. The Coronation Festival Gala will encapsulate the Festival’s themes of excellence and innovation with a particular focus on youth, in a celebration of the past 60 years of Performing Arts.
The Fanfare Trumpeters from the Household Division will open the Gala evening followed by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa who will sing The National Anthem. This will begin a musical journey through Britain and the Commonwealth since HM The Queen’s Coronation.
The Festival will be open to members of the public from Friday 12 to Sunday 14 July. There will be a Royal Preview on Thursday, 11th July for invited guests only.
• Daytime Festival tickets of £30 per person are still available for purchase via the Coronation Festival website
• Tickets for the Coronation Galas have sold out but the Gala will be broadcast on TV and radio. Full broadcast details will be issued to the public soon.
• Opening times to the public between Friday 12 July – Sunday 14 July 2013 are 9.30am – 4.00pm for day-time ticket holders; and 5.30pm – 9.30pm for evening ticket holders. There is no evening event on Sunday, 14 July.
• The Royal Warrant Holders Association is hosting The Coronation Festival, which will showcase over 200 of the companies who have supplied goods or services for at least five years to the Households of The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh or The Prince of Wales.
• Royal Warrants have always been regarded as hallmarks of quality, excellence and service.
• The Coronation Festival is being held in the 60th anniversary year of The Queen’s Coronation.
• The Festival’s Charity partner will be the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust (QEST), the charitable arm of the Royal Warrant Holders Association, which helps financially disadvantaged crafts people to further their skills through the funding of higher education and training.
• Media 10 are the event organisers for The Coronation Festival
• Raymond Gubbay Limited is producing the Coronation gala.