Strictly Come Dancing – the big reveal
Tonight the BBC revealed the names of the celebrities who will be strutting their stuff over the next few months in order to win the competition for 2011.
BBC unveils celebrity line-up for Strictly Come Dancing Series Nine
The BBC today announced the star-studded line-up for Strictly Come Dancing 2011, revealing an exciting mix of people drawn from the worlds of sport, acting, politics, music and entertainment.
The ninth series, which launches with a red-carpet event at 6.10pm on BBC One, Saturday 10th September, will see the 14 new celebrity contestants battle it out on the dance floor, to win the ultimate glitter-ball trophy.
This year’s celebrity contestants are:
- Lawyer, writer and entrepreneur, Nancy Dell’Olio
- Former football bad boy, Robbie Savage
- Waterloo Roadactress, Chelsee Healey
- Impressionist and comedian, Rory Bremner
- Actress and singer, Holly Valance
- Pop heartthrob, Harry Judd from McFly
- Star of screen and stage, Anita Dobson
- Astrologer and entertainer, Russell Grant
- Musical icon and entertainer, Lulu
- Former professional tennis player and TV presenter, Daniel Lobb
- Former MP, writer and broadcaster, Edwina Currie
- Olympic Gold medallist and boxer, Audley Harrison
- Australian pop and stage star, Jason Donovan
- TV presenter, Alex Jones
Sir Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly return to guide viewers through the action on Saturday nights, while Tess will once again be joined by Claudia Winkleman for the Sunday night results show. Also returning are our fearsome foursome – head judge Len Goodman and fellow judges Alesha Dixon, Craig Revel Horwood and Bruno Tonioli.
The hour-long launch show will see the celebrities finding out for the first time who their professional partners are. There will also be a group dance by the celebrities and the professional dancers giving viewers at home the chance to see who the early favourites are and who might need to put in a few extra hours of training.
Following last year’s smash hit series, 2011 is set to be even more spectacular and includes our biggest ever dance floor and live programme from Wembley Arena, with an audience of around 6,500 Strictly fans, in aid of Children In Need. The programme will also return to Blackpool’s famous Tower Ballroom for the Grand Final for the first time since series two, which will be shown in dazzling 3D.
Throughout the series, viewers can get all the up-to-date gossip and dancing action over on BBC Two on the weekday sister show, It Takes Two, with new presenter Zoe Ball.