Young British Dancer of the Year 2013 – results announced
The final of the 2013 Young British Dancer of the Year competition was held on Saturday 9 March at the Linbury Studio Theatre, the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
The winners were:
- First: Chisato Katsura (The Royal Ballet School)
- Second: Isabelle Brouwers (English National Ballet School)
- Third: Jerome Barnes (The Royal Ballet School).
Additional awards were given as follows:
- The Sibley Dowell Award for a promising student with potential: Barnaby Rook Bishop (The Royal Ballet School)
- Commendation: William Beagley (The Royal Ballet School)
- Commendation: Joseph Sissens (The Royal Ballet School)
The 2013 judges were:
- Aaron S Watkin (Chairman) – Artistic Director of the Semperopera Ballet Dresden and former Principal of Ballet Frankfurt
- Gary Avis – Principal Character Artist of The Royal Ballet
- Deidre Eyden – Former Soloist of The Royal Ballet
- Christopher Hampson – Artistic Director of Scottish Ballet and former Soloist with English National Ballet
- Kevin O’Hare – Director of The Royal Ballet and former Principal of Birmingham Royal Ballet
- David Nixon OBE – Artistic Director of Northern Ballet and former Principal of National Ballet of Canada and Deutsche Oper Ballett
- Marguerite Porter – Former Principal of The Royal Ballet
- Tamara Rojo – Artistic Director and Principal of English National Ballet
Generously sponsored by Ricki Gail Conway since its inception in 2000, Young British Dancer of the Year is the only ballet competition designed to recognise and reward young dancers in this country.
This year, 71 ballet students entered Young British Dancer of the Year, representing a total of 11 schools from across the UK.
For non-vocational students, prizes of places at Summer Schools were awarded to the following:
- Saskia Gregson-Williams (Royal Ballet School International Summer School)
- Charlotte Levy (English National Ballet Summer School)
- Masha Gorelik (Central School of Ballet Summer School)
- Rowan Parker (Wells Weekend)
- Phoebe Liggins (Yorkshire Ballet Seminars)